More and more counselors and teachers are needed in the field of special education. Only a person with specific skills and professional training can become a special education counselor.
Some insight about how to become a special education counselor is discussed below.
- A Bachelor’s degree is the minimal requirement for a career in special education counseling, though a Master’s program is ideal. Ensure you get a Bachelor’s degree from a reputed college or institution.
- Next you can start working towards getting a Master’s degree in special education counseling. You will find many Master’s programs all around the world; research online to find a college that offers a degree in special education counseling and make sure it is to your convenience (distance, fees, etc).
- Sit through a seminar in special education counseling; you may be required to participate for a particular number of hours inside the counseling institution or a school. This will not only gain you experience in the field, but will also allow you to meet and learn from other professionals.
- Get certified as a special education counselor, a prerequisite before you begin practice. The qualifications for this post differ from state to state; some need you to possess a certification in school counseling, while others need specific certification in special education counseling. Check out the state-specific certification requirements while completing your Master’s degree.
- Similarly, if you are planning to relocate, ensure you research the required certification for that specific state you are planning on relocating to; some states can easily transfer certifications due to overlapping requirements.
What is involved?
- Prepare teachers to work with various people who have disabilities.
- Provide services to people who suffer disabilities, their school, families and districts. Graduate students help provide these services during their internship experiences. This not only helps the interns gain necessary experience, but also benefits the community from their service.
- Actively pursue an ongoing program of research as all three professional activities such as teaching, service and research are equally necessary for advancement.
Follow the guidelines above to get started in a career which is challenging, yet mentally and emotionally satisfying!